Most Holy Rosary school began in 1915. Rev. George Mahon invited the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary to staff the new school. This order graciously agreed and has provided teaching sisters for the school ever since. The new school’s opening enrollment was 245 pupils in grades 1 through 10. There were 7 students in the first graduating class from Most Holy Rosary in 1917.
In 1977, Most Holy Rosary closed its high school and served Kindergarten through grade 8. The pre-k program was added in 1983, and in 1985 the diocese consolidated all grade 7th and 8th programs in four Junior High Schools. In 1987, MHR opened an after-school program and this innovation insured the school’s enrollment of around 250 pupils for the next several years. During these years, the ratio of religious to lay faculty had shifted to 50:50. The majority of students were children of parishioners.
In 2000, MHR welcomed its first lay principal. Today, the school continues to offer Pre-K through Sixth grade, staffed by 14 lay and 1 religious faculty members. The basic curriculum in each grade is enhanced by the additional classes in Art, Music, Physical Education, Spanish, Media and Technology.
On September 12, 2015, the school celebrated its 100th Anniversary. Mass was celebrated by Bishop Cunningham, Bishop Costello, Reverend Joseph O’Connor and Reverend Fred Mannara. Sister Ellen Maroney, IHM, MHR ’67, welcomed everyone to Mass. Alumni, former parents, parishioners and the community attended Mass, visited the School Memory Room and celebrated at the evening’s reception. MHR 100 booklet mass
Most Holy Rosary School’s present is rooted in its strong tradition of academic excellence nurtured in a faith-centered environment. The school community strives to carry this legacy into the future.